Saturday, July 30, 2022

You are not alone.

I generally think of myself as heavily introverted, and that woodworking, the hobby I've been obsessed with for ~25yrs, is a solitary hobby. Most often what I THINK appeals to me is quietly cutting joinery late into the night in solitude. 

This is all a lie.

Sure, there are aspects of that romanticized loner life, but honestly evaluating most treasured projects & accomplishments, very few of them have really been that hermit at work, in fact quite the opposite even if you just look at this blog. (Your mileage may vary)

Likewise, many of the most memorable social interactions in my life have been paired with making things. Remodeling, volunteering, roofs and asphalt maintenance etc make it seem like working & making things might be my true love language. (fact checkers: actually its quality time) but clearly there is a connection. I suspect that both of my readers already know that these woodworking things go where feelings go in other people. 

If woodworking alone is good, woodworking with a partner is gooderer (sp) to that end I wish to share with you a rather monumental project completed, finding a partner*

I should discuss much more about this project, what sharing a hobby with your spouse is like and perhaps some of the fun & challenges that presents. However, considering these chairs were in-process for ~a year,  have been finished for months and even had glamor shots for a while, perhaps I should just let the finished pieces (design by Bibbings & Hensley) speak for themselves.

*Now I know not many will get as lucky a I have here (she's the complete package, she even enjoys finishing my projects!) but find yourself someone to make stuff with, or at least makes some stuff and find someone that you can talk about making with, you'll be glad you did.














1 comment: