Friday, April 14, 2023

Domestic or exotic?....Why not both?

I haven't traveled (or written) as much as I used to (blame whoever you want), but when I travel, I try to incorporate woodworking if at all possible. I've gotten to do some really amazing things (for a woodworker) that aren't on most people's travel "bucket list" but are just as exciting as the Louvre may be for painters. 

I've toured shops from people I know on IG, met craftspeople at work, brought home amazing tools and wood chunks from far-flung places. For some of us, visiting a Lee Valley store in the flesh is nearly a pilgrimage to Mecca. But even when woodworking is not the main event, ("Come on kids do you really want to go to Disneyland, when you could see Sam Maloof's home AND the Gambrel house?") getting even the tiniest connection to woodworking will connect you to a place, its people and its soul in a way that a T-shirt just never can. 

I've said it before that I love the island of Puerto Rico. Years ago, we first went because it was the least expensive way for a family from the middle west to get a guaranteed 80ยบ and sunny in January; but I instantly fell in love with the vibrancy of the island and its people. 

On a recent trip, I was able to meet Rene Delgado. I came across him after seeing several respected woodworkers (Michael FortuneScott Landis) talking about their Greenwood Global tours on Instagram.

If you aren't familiar with the Greenwood Global, it's an immersive experience. Going into the dense forests of Puerto Rico learning about trees, many lesser known but gorgeous timbers, coupled with some shop days working with those same woods, and connecting with local artisans as well. While I have not yet been able to participate in one of these events, they seem like a great experience (the next one is 7-16 May 2023)
Greenwood Global partners with the local experience of Rene Delgado, a talented well spoken (fluently bilingual like most Puerto Ricans) artisan and teacher in his own right. Rene runs Taller Escuela, a woodworking school he has run for more than 13yrs (conveniently near the main San Juan airport) In addition to his teaching ability, he has some serious design and craftsmanship chops, having schooled in New England (I can't remember which craft school) and then worked for many years with Wendell Castle. During my vacation, my wife and I stopped by the school after hours and we were immediately charmed by Rene and the time raced by as we talked shop, tools art, design, teaching etc. His personal work shows creativity and a playful spirit, and hopefully communicates his artistic spirit.


One of the striking things about the school is the wide array of incredible exotic woods that Rene has at his disposal, because they are in fact domestic in Puerto Rico (not CITES restricted). Another great thing available to this school is that it's located in a premier vacation destination both for learners & instructors that might want to extend their stay and see the beach or explore the island  (and US folks don't even need a passport)

My call to action for my readers is:
  • Consider going to PR on vacation, take your family; it's great.
  • Contact Rene and see what classes might be available either to plan a trip around, or to incorporate into your itinerary, regardless of skill level.
  • If you are a woodworking instructor that might be able to draw attendees and could use a vacation yourself (every woodworking professional) reach out to Rene and see what opportunities might exist. 
How great would it be to come home from your beach vacation, with a handmade turned mallet or box made with your own hands from a really cool wood while making friends with woodworkers from all over that share your love of the craft? 


I rarely come home with souvenirs as too often it's simply supporting globalized kitsch, but Rene shared with me a small reclaimed chunk of an Ausubo beam from an Old San Juan (founded 16th century) building that is certainly several hundreds of years old. Whether I make something from this, or it sits forever on a shelf in my shop, I can't think of a more personally connecting piece to this domestic/exotic island I love.









No comments:

Post a Comment