Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Lost but not Forgotten

 



This week, at the job, I’m in the factory learning how to run a certain extremely large multimillion dollar machining center in case of a labor “event”. Over the years I’ve learned welding and machining for such possibilities even though I have basically no external experience with these things nor have I needed to exercise these skills. While I certainly enjoy learning stuff and having a paid work boondoggle, there’s often short periods of downtime and I can’t do the normal thing I do when I’m down for a few minutes… Scroll Instagram or whatever. With the tiny bit of signal I had, I got to read this post on a break and got me thinking about all of those things too, so I thought “why not write (physically by hand initially) something in solidarity with FairWoodworking” (a person I might not have ever known had it not been for blogs) Who knows maybe we will start a revolution?


Typically, I have a ton of ideas to write about, but either fail to choose a topic, try to make it some thesis/greater life lesson flinch at the idea that it’ll take hours and eventually lose interest. Maybe I should just give an update about what I COULD elaborate on or document for the “true fans.” (I find this languishing “sharing” malaise extending to social media where it’s hard to see the point of sharing as much as “the good old days”.) Anyways here’s some topics: 

  • Shop, additions, design, layout in the various delays and road blocks 
  • Spoon crack, not cracks in spoons, but what it does to me, when I’m working on spoons 
  • Pepper mills. Super fun quick project. I’ve made one, maybe more?
  • Commissions; I took one about a year ago, due by end of year. Will I make it? What is it, and why is it talking so $&!? Long?
  • Chairs what’s going on in my head vs. what can I actually accomplish 
  • New kids, new skills 
  • Am I still burning stuff?
  • More Instagram venting?

What do you think? Should we all be writing more blogs? Who (aside from Sirius Cybernetics Corporation) should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes? What should I be writing about now? Does anyone even listen to this medium?


Who knows maybe after a couple of weeks, I’ll have developed a new habit (besides getting up too early and commuting again) is that how healthy things work I only have experience with the slow slide to lethargy? Like! Comment! Subscribe! (Doh! That’s what we are trying to get away from.)

1 comment:

  1. I created a blog as a way to document my thoughts as I learn to woodwork. I try to challenge myself to "publish" on posting a week. It can be tough to keep this schedule. Not sure why I feel compelled to document things. Maybe because the written word, in theory, can be more permanent and lasting than our short lifespans. Of course, two things come to mind. One, it's all electronic so it might feel permanent BUT I don't own the website it is on so I am again at the whim of others. Two, there is so much out there that is written, what are the odds anyone would even bother to look at what I have to say. My great uncle & aunt, grandparents, and parents all had a nice library of books. I have rarely ever read one of their books and feel no inclination to keep their books. Same will happen to me. Having said that, I still feel compelled to write.

    ReplyDelete